Pioneer Hall was built in 1886 for the first Iowa State Fair at its permanent location. Of the 67 buildings constructed for that Fair, only Pioneer Hall remains. It was originally a poultry building, then an employees’ dormitory and a storage facility.
With help from Farm Bureau, Pioneer Hall was renovated and re-opened in 1996 after the replacement of the foundation and footings. It now houses antique displays, dulcimer music and a variety of craft displays. Fairgoers can watch the furniture maker and blacksmith ply their trades, or see basket makers weave reeds.
Part of the Richard L. Easter Museum Complex, improvements are still needed to ensure its continued success.