June 18, 2018
19 days and counting! It’s beginning to feel a little more Fair-like with each day that passes as the Blue Ribbon Foundation gears up for the 2018 Corndog Kickoff! With silent and live auction packages rolling through the doors, our offices are filling up with all of the goodies guests can bid on at the upcoming event. Want to increase your chances of securing the “dream prize” that stood out to you in our 2018 Auction Book? Well, do I have special news for you…
On the evening of the Kickoff, we will be hosting the Winner’s Choice Raffle where guests can claim a Live Auction package before the bidding even begins! The winner of the raffle will take his or her pick from one of the following five amazing packages:
- A Cheerful Quilt: This 63” x 71” quilt features many Fair favorites, from livestock to barns and flowers to pies. Whether you use it as art for your wall or as a blanket to sleep, this piece is sure to bring warmth to you and your home! Donated by Danyell Klein.
- Zoom, Zoom, Zoom: Bring your ear plugs and get ready to see history in the making with four grandstand tickets to the NASCAR championship races at the Homestead-Miami Speedway on the weekend of November 17-18, 2018. You’ll experience the Xfinity and Monster Energy Series Ford EcoBoost 300 and 400. Four garage passes are also included. Before you head to Florida, you can also check out the Knoxville Nationals in Knoxville, Iowa with two general administration tickets to the races on August 2-4, 2018 (leaving plenty of time to recover for the Fair in Des Moines!). Donated by Housby & the Knoxville Raceway.
- Farm to Fair Table: Have a seat at the invite-only, 500 foot long table for the first-ever “Farm to Fair Table” event on the Grand Concourse, Sunday, August 12 at noon. Four people will have the opportunity to learn from Iowa farmers about our locally-grown foods that feed the world, and you will also enjoy a delicious meal made from Iowa-sourced ingredients. Also included are a Grizzly cooler packed full of delicious meat from Brewer Family Farms, $60 in pork coupons, and gate admission for four with a parking pass to this year’s Fair. Donated by the Iowa State Fair, Brewer Family Farms LLC, Marshall County Pork Producers & the Blue Ribbon Foundation.
- Star Light, Star Bright: This matching ring and pendant will be the first stars you’ll see every evening you wear them. They are made with 18 karat white gold, with .39 cttw of diamonds on each, creating the delightful star-like sparkle you see. The ring is a size 6, and the chain for the pendant is a 16” sterling silver .925 cable chain with a lobster claw closure. Donated by Debra Rose Collection.
- Pedal to the Medal: A unique coffee table featuring reclaimed wood and an old pedal car. Handcrafted by Zane Hehnke, this creative artist is 19 years old and started “pickin” when he was only 10. Donated by Inspired Finds. (Picture coming soon!)
Did one of these packages strike your fancy? For $100 per ticket, you can test your luck and take home the package of your choice at an unbelievable value. Only 100 tickets will be sold! The drawing will take place at the start of the Live Auction, and you must be present in order to pick your prize. If you’d like to buy a Winner’s Choice Raffle ticket, please send in your $100 donation indicating how many tickets you would like to the Blue Ribbon Foundation or purchase a ticket at the event. You can also learn more about our Corndog Kickoff Benefit Auction here.
I’m excited to watch all of our auction packages find new homes (and give us a little more space around the office) and to see what package is chosen for the Winner’s Choice Raffle. As for me, I could go for a good ol’ Iowa meal any day of the week, but the choice could be yours in 19 days!
June 15, 2018
There is always something new to find at the Iowa State Fair. Be sure to participate these new activities coming in 2018: Farm to Fair, Fair After Dark, and B-I-N-G-0, B-I-N-G-O-Bingo on Grand!
On Wednesday, August 15th, Fairgoers are invited to participate in Bingo on Grand Avenue. Fairgoers can pay $1, play a game of Bingo, and have the chance to win half of the total amount collected per game! Games will be played all day from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. You can have fun at the fair and support the Iowa State Fair Blue Ribbon Foundation at the same time!
Since its inception in 1993, the Foundation has raised more than $138 million, through individual contributions, state appropriations, in-kind services, and corporate, federal and state grants – And for the first time ever - BINGO! The proceeds from bingo will provide funding for future renovation and maintenance improvements to the Fairgrounds ensuring the Fair will be a grand tradition for generations to come!
The mission of the Blue Ribbon Foundation is to conduct major capital campaigns for the renovation and preservation of the historic Iowa State Fairgrounds. You can also check out other ways to support the renovation projects and Fairground improvements through our many giving programs, such as Buy a Brick, Growing our Future, or Shine On.
June 13, 2018
The Iowa State Fair Blue Ribbon Foundation is in full-fledged planning mode. With every day that goes by, the Corndog Kickoff gets closer and closer! However, none of us are panicking! We already know that we have a fun-filled night complete with entertainment, live and silent auction packages for everyone, and food in which all can indulge in. Here is a sneak peek into the planning fun!
5 Ways of Entertainment
1. Fireworks brought to us by Flashing Thunder Fireworks Spectacular are guaranteed to brighten up anyone’s day!
2. A classic Iowa State Fair tradition, the Sky Gliders by SkyFair Inc. will be open for rides! Check out the breath-taking views of the Iowa State Fairgrounds before the Fair!
3. Spin art donated by the Altoona Lions Club can be enjoyed by all! This simple but fun way of art is perfect for the whole family!
4. Capturing the moments as they flash by at the Corndog Kickoff is possible with all of the photo booths throughout the venue. University Photo will capture all of your family’s fun!
5. A live band- Saints and Sinners- will get all attendees on their feet and moving to the beat!
5 Packages to Check Out
1. Join Governor Reynolds and a member of the Iowa State Fair Board for lunch at the Iowa State Fair. Lunch will be provided by the Pork Tent, and dessert at the Dairy Barn is a must! Look out for “A Fair Experience” in the silent auction!
2. Two pairs of homemade leather earrings, a pedicure at Grace Nails, a 10-week unlimited tanning package, soaps, bath bombs, bubble bars and fairy dust make one relaxing, much deserved day! “Treat Yourself” will be featured in the silent auction!
3. A concert at the Iowa State Fair is a tradition- however, with so many good options how can one be expected to choose? Good news! You don’t have to! “A Concert Series” will be featured in the live auction with your own personal band box in the Grandstand at the 2018 Iowa State Fair!
4. Kiki Curtis will be painting LIVE at the Corndog Kickoff! With a State Fair feel, this painting will look good in any Fair enthusiast’s home. Found at the live auction.
5. Movie making 101 would be a good way to describe this package. Two lucky movie fans will have the chance to spend a fascinating day behind the scenes at Ironbound Studios to see just how a movie is made. The “Lights, Camera, Action” package will be auctioned during the live auction!
The Corndog Kickoff has something for everyone! As someone who has never been in the past, I am sure I will not be leaving empty handed. Join us and buy your tickets today!
June 11, 2018
It was a rainy Monday morning. The wind was gusting, the birds were huddled in their nests, and the leftover smell of pigs from the World Pork Expo hung in the air. Seems like a dreary start to the week stuck inside, right? Not for the Blue Ribbon Foundation staff! The drizzly weather couldn’t stop us from getting outside and creating lasting memories for people throughout the Fairgrounds.
Today, we continued our quest to restore the Fairgrounds by laying engraved bricks along the walkways found in front of various Fair landmarks, such as Ye Old Mill, the Agriculture Building, Pioneer Hall, and the Cattle, Horse, Sheep, and Swine Barns—to name a few. Although it looked like we had dug our hands and feet through a mud pit by the time we were done, the day was a success with 142 new bricks in the ground.
Would you like to leave a permanent legacy and commemorate your and your family’s love for the Iowa State Fair? You can invest in your own personalized brick through the Blue Ribbon Foundation’s Buy a Brick program! We offer both standard bricks and special logo bricks that can be engraved with the inscription of your choosing. The next deadline for ordering a brick is September 15, and we will place your brick within the grounds this fall. To order, visit our website at the link above and secure your new Fair legacy before the craze of the Corndog Kickoff and the Iowa State Fair begins!
Not a brick person? You can also check out other ways to support the renovation projects and Fairground improvements through our many giving programs, such as Trees for the Fair, Growing our Future, or “Shine On.” The Corndog Kickoff is also a great way to show your support while enjoying the foods of the Fair, so remember to reserve your tickets today!
Now that the bricks are laid and the clouds are clearing up, it looks it will be a pleasant week after all. Plenty of time to enjoy the outdoors (perhaps take a quick nap…) and continue our Kickoff preparations! Check out the pictures below to see some of today's handiwork here at the Fairgrounds:
June 8, 2018
Is it Fair?! Outside the office windows we can see the hustle and bustle of people, food vendors, merchandise stands, and . . . pigs? It isn’t quite Fair time, but the World Pork Expo has taken over the Iowa State Fairgrounds. While we continue to prepare for the Corndog Kickoff and the Fair, the William C. Knapp Varied Industries Building, Paul R. Knapp Animal Learning Center, the Grand Concourse, and all of the barns are full with more than 20,000 pork producers and ag professionals from throughout the world.
There’s something for everyone — an expansive trade show, educational seminars, industry updates and networking. And, don’t forget the delicious pork served across the Fairgrounds! (Sounds a lot like Fair to me). The Blue Ribbon Foundation staff took advantage of the excitement outside the office, put some of our “Top 10 Food Strategies” to the test, and enjoyed the excitement. We enjoyed our pre-Fair adventure, and are looking forward to the real deal August 9-19th.
If you made it to World Pork Expo, I hope you enjoyed the mild temperatures, the delicious food, and the lingering smell of pigs. If you are missing out on pork expo, you can still enjoy some pre-Fair festivities by attending the Corndog Kickoff Benefit Auction and Fair Food Grazing Party on Saturday, July 7th. It is a fun-filled night complete with live entertainment, all of your Fair food favorites, and a variety of unique auction packages to satisfy any State Fair enthusiast. Get your tickets today!
June 6, 2018
Every year the Iowa State Fair Blue Ribbon Foundation and Cookies Food Products collaborates to honor the individuals in Iowa that continually go above and beyond in everything they do! In 2017 Ron Bell was named Iowan of the Day at the Iowa State Fair. He played an integral role in bringing his hometown community together, from spearheading the annual Mondamin Christmas Party and the Mondamin Hertiage Days Celebration to being Mayor for six years. As the Mayor Ron initiated projects to replace the water tower and to upgrade the sanitary sewer system.
Bernard Becker was named 2017 Iowan of the Day with his passion of honoring Veterans. Each year Bernard hosts United States Marine Corps Purple Heart Medal recipients to his hometown to enjoy a pheasant hunt and banquet in honor of their service. “Bernie has an unequaled passion for supporting our Veterans, and his nonprofit event has hosted approximately 30 Purple Heart Marines for pheasant hunting and healing in the last six years,” said nominator Steve Smith.
From supporting agriculture and the environment to supporting her community as a whole, Shirley Geadelmann was recognized as Iowan of the Day from her passion of agriculture and serving others. Raising her family on a dairy, hog and diversified crop farm instilled a passion and love for agriculture that Shirley continues to share with her community through Iowa Master Farm Homemakers, the Cedar County Farm Bureau, local 4-H clubs and the local Dairy Herd Improvement Association.
No matter the passion, no matter the work, the Blue Ribbon Foundation and Cookies Food Products are here to celebrate Iowans for all of their hard work that makes their own communities a better place to live in. Nominate a deserving individual today!
June 4, 2018
Buckets of chocolate chip cookies, giant turkey legs, fresh melon cups, and over 80 different foods on a stick—these are just tastes of the classic foods showcased at the Iowa State Fair each year and some of the foods that will be featured at this year’s Corndog Kickoff! Last week, we talked about the “fun” found at the 2018 Kickoff; this week, let’s talk about my favorite “F” of this fabulous event: food!
Awaken your Fair-loving appetite at the Fair Food Grazing Party by enjoying a preview of our favorite Fair treats. As you make the difficult decision about which vendors to try, consider sampling some (or all!) of these delicious food options:
• Hot Chocolate Chip Cookies
• Sliced Caramel Apples
• Corndogs (wouldn’t be a Corndog Kickoff without ‘em!)
• Fresh Melon Cups
• Hot Beef Sundaes
• Turkey Legs
• Gizmo Sandwiches
• Fair Squares
• The Bruschetta Sundae "Mt. Vesuvius"
• Pickle Dawgs
• Nut Rolls and Fudge
• Pork Chops On-A-Stick
• A&W Root Beer Floats
• Smoked Brisket Bacon Mac N’ Cheese
• Corn in a Cup
• Sno Cones
• Kettle Korn
• Cotton Candy
• Blue Bunny Ice Cream
As the days draw nearer, even more food options (yes, more) will be available for you to get excited about. So pack your bags with extra stretchy pants, hitch a ride, rent a bike, or prepare your best walking shoes to make the trek across the state to celebrate our favorite and most satisfying Fair traditions at the 22nd annual Corndog Kickoff! I will see you there with two forks and extra napkins in hand.
Volunteers and vendors surrounded by food!
June 1, 2018
As you stroll through the Fairgrounds, you can see many breath-taking colorful scenes like the bright lights illuminating the Thrill Park, the vibrant colors advertising the concessions on Grand, or even the giant orange pumpkins that sit in front of the Agricultural Building. The Iowa State Fair Blue Ribbon Foundation offers painting classes during the Fair to help ensure the future of the Fair remains colorful.
Grab your friends and come paint these colorful scenes at the Iowa State Fair! The $35 registration fee includes the canvas, brushes and paint for the hour and a half class. There is a new classes offered this year! Rather than paining the traditional canvas, you can paint a gently used canvas or leather bag. Feel free to bring your own, or use one available on site.
All proceeds from the painting class are dedicated to Our Fair’s Future, the Blue Ribbon Foundation’s endowment fund. As the endowment grows, it will provide a reliable source of funding for future renovation and maintenance improvements to the Fairgrounds ensuring the Fair will be a grand tradition for generations to come.
Check out the calendar below to see what you can create! On-site class registration is available before the class starts. We have space for 50 painters in each class. We recommend signing up now to reserve your spot. To register online, click here! Or call our office at 515-262-3111 Ext. 371
May 30, 2018
Our many behind-the-scenes volunteers are what keep the Foundation running smoothly at the Iowa State Fair, as well as the Corndog Kickoff. Each year, more than 500 Blue Ribbon Foundation volunteers donate their time and energy by helping sell merchandise at the Foundation trailers and other locations, or by selling bottled water and Fair Squares at the Foundation’s many stands. Sign up to volunteer at the Iowa State Fair here!
A new fundraising event is the first ever Bingo tent on Grand Avenue, held on Wednesday, August 15th. Sign up to volunteer for this new tradition and stay tuned for more information regarding Bingo on Grand!
Volunteers are all around us, and what make each community in Iowa so successful! If you know a great volunteer, nominate them today for Iowan of the Day! We look for people with a strong work ethic, loyalty to helping others and an exceptional sense of Iowa pride. Winners receive four Iowa State Fair admission tickets, accommodations at the Des Moines Marriott Downtown, VIP Parking and more! Download a nomination form. All Nominations are due by July 1st, 2018.
May 29, 2018
With less than six weeks until our 22nd annual Corndog Kickoff, the Blue Ribbon Foundation staff is already gearing up for a night full of the 5 F's: family, friends, fun, fireworks, and, of course, food! Let’s dive a little deeper into the third F—fun! This celebratory night will feature many auction prizes and exciting games, including Rags to Riches, Spin Wheel, and our brand new game: Dining Delights. Today, I'm going to "delight" you with a sneak peek into this new game!
For the first year ever, the Blue Ribbon Foundation is hosting “Dining Delights” by collecting gift card donations from the best Iowa eateries around the state. We already have gifts cards to restaurants such as Tasty Tacos, Drake Diner, Spaghetti Works, Goldie’s Ice Cream Shoppe, and Jethro’s Barbeque—and that's just a taste! To play, all you will have to do is provide a $20 donation, which will go to preserve and improve our great Fairgrounds. In return, you will pick a mystery gift card with a value of at least $20 (most likely more!) from our mystery gift card bag, and voila! You are a winner. Treat your significant other to a night out in the town, or, if you’re like me, treat yourself to a nice steak dinner with some sweet Iowa corn on the cob. However you choose to enjoy your dining prize, everyone is guaranteed to win.
Seem too good to be true? Well, don't just take my word for it, but come to the Kickoff on Saturday, July 7th and play for yourself! Remember, you can still reserve your tickets before July 1st by mailing in your R.S.V.P. envelope, visiting http://www.blueribbonfoundation.org/events/corndog-kickoff/tickets, or calling 515-262-3111 Ext. 371. Also, if you have a favorite local café, lunch hangout, pub, ice cream parlor, or other restaurant destination that you would like to share, we are accepting gift cards of $25 or more until June 22nd.
Just writing about all of this food is making me eager to enjoy the tastes and fun of this year’s Corndog Kickoff, so I hope you will join me by delighting in some fine Iowa dining and indulging in all of the Kickoff festivities!
Some of the fun from last year's Corndog Kickoff!