The Administration Building was updated inside and out in time for the 1998 Iowa State Fair.
The Agriculture Building was renovated in 1995. Today, visitors to the building continue to experience one of the broadest displays of Iowa’s agricultural and horticultural history.
The old Plaza Stage was renovated and dedicated to Anne and Bill Riley at the 1997 Iowa State Fair.
Located east of the Swine Barn, a new outdoor arena and stalling barn were built to replace the open-air arena which previously existed west of the Horse Barn.
The Elwell Family Food Center, formerly known as the the Iowa Tourism Building, was stripped to its core and remodeled in 2009 to increase capacity.
In recent years, Expo Hill was the home to thrill rides and attractions, but was made into a more "green" area focusing on renewable energy technologies in 2011. Phase 2 of the project was completed for the 2012 Fair.
Resting high atop the hill overlooking the Fairgounds, the fully renovated Grandfather’s Barn is one of the few remaining authentic exhibits of Iowa’s early agricultural heritage.
The Grandstand was originally built in 1909 and was renovated in 1997. Today there is a special event hosted each night of the Fair.
The Horse Barn, orginally built in 1907, received renovations in 2002. Additional construction took place in 2010 with the building of the Jacobson Center.
The Hy-Vee Fun Forest, a park equipted with play equipment and entertainment, was completed in time for the 1999 Iowa State Fair.
The Cattle Barn is one of the most commanding structures on the Fairgrounds. Annexes were added to the barn in 1999.
The Livestock Pavilion was completed in time for the 2003 Fair and now hosts a variety of livestock events.
The MidAmerican stage replaced the existing Fairview Stage located east of Pella Plaza and west of the Patty & Jim Cownie Cultural Center in 2015. The new stage includes fixed seating on a concrete surface with designated ADA seating areas, as well as dressing rooms and a loading dock. In addition, new public restrooms adjacent to the stage benefit the entire Fun Forest area.
Today, the Cultural Center is a glittering showcase for Iowa artisans and a Fairtime residence for an impressive variety of artists.
Built from 1939-42 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project (at a cost of $4.89 per square foot), the Youth Inn is an outstanding example of art deco design. The rounded corners and glass block on the 12-inch thick steel-reinforced concrete exterior walls exemplify this style of architecture. During the Fair, hundreds of young exhibitors stay at the “Hilton on the Hilltop,” where facilities include bunk beds, showers, a kitchen and a cafeteria with tiered seating.
The Paul R. Knapp Animal Learning Center was completed shortly before the 2007 Iowa State Fair to teach children and families the importance of animal husbandry in Iowa.
Pella Plaza, a beautiful 50,000 square foot park featuring benches, flowers, trees and a water fountain was dedicated in 1996.
After a century on the Farigrounds, Pioneer Hall was renovated and re-opened in 1996.
Renovations to the original State Fair Museum and the addition of the new museum complex were made possible by private contributions.
The Jacobson Exhibition Center is a beautiful year-round facility and the newest building on the Iowa State Fairgrounds.
The Des Moines Register Service Center was the first new building added to the Fairgrounds by the Blue Ribbon Foundation.
Thanks to a generous donation by John and Janis Ruan III in 2014, a pedestrian friendly plaza has been constructed to connect the Grand Concourse with the Jacobson Exhibition Center. Featuring a boulevard area with improved utilities and access for exhibitors and vendors, it is framed by 20-foot wide walkways.
The largest free entertainment stage on the Fairgrounds, the Susan Knapp was completed in time for the 2006 Iowa State Fair!
The 185,000-square foot Swine Barn has naturally deteriorated over time, and a much deserved facelift finally began on 2005.
Originally called the Machinery Hall, the William C. Knapp Varied Industries Building was first constructed in 1911 and fully renovated and renamed in 2001.
The Ye Old Mill was renovated in 1996 after 80 years on the Fairgrounds.