Fall Newsletter: 2003, 2013 and 2023
As the fall newsletter hits mailboxes, here is a brief flashback to what the Blue Ribbon Foundation was doing 10 and 20 years ago.
What’s happening at the Blue Ribbon Foundation?
- This summer, the Foundation hit a fundraising milestone by raising $1 million at the Corndog Kickoff.
- Popular merchandise items for sale this fall are the Pickleball Paddles and Butter Cow pants. See all the options in the online State Fair Store.
- An all-time high of 668 Fairgoers volunteered their time during the Fair’s 11 days.
- Applications are being accepted for next summer’s interns. Deadline to apply is November 30.
- Staff is preparing for an online Souvenir Auction, starting November 9.
- Construction is underway on a historic $25+ million Livestock Barn renovation project – join the fundraising by becoming a “Back the Barns” supporter.
- Read the complete Fall 2023 Newsletter
What was the Blue Ribbon Foundation doing 10 years ago?
- The Foundation introduced Peter Cownie as the Executive Director after he officially started in August.
- Fairgoers were preparing to run in the 7th annual Fairgrounds 5K.
- The Patty and Jim Cownie Cultural Center was undergoing additional improvements.
- The Corndog Kickoff raised $416,000 with “The Grandest Show Around”, circus theme.
- 462 volunteers helped during the Iowa State Fair.
- An ISF necklace and Butter Cow kite were for sale in the State Fair Store.
What was the Blue Ribbon Foundation doing 20 years ago?
- Foundation staff was busy collecting Iowa State Fair memories to be part of the new Richard L. Easter Iowa State Fair Museum Complex. Construction of the new museum was underway and completed before the 2004 Fair.
- Staff was thrilled with the 7th annual Corndog Kickoff raising $180,000 for future improvements.
- 402 volunteers stepped up to help the Foundation sell water and merchandise during the Fair.
- T-shirts and hats were the popular Iowa State Fair souvenirs ready to sell in time for Christmas.
Programs have grown, new projects have developed and things have changed over the years. The loyalty of Blue Ribbon Foundation donors and volunteers continues to grow. Thank you for your support!