Fall Newsletter Flashback!
Be sure to read this fall’s newsletter to catch up on the Blue Ribbon Foundation’s fundraising efforts and Fairgrounds improvement projects. Included in this blog is a flashback to what the Blue Ribbon Foundation was doing 10 and 20 years ago.
- Iowan of the Day Program: One summer highlight included honoring 10 Iowans during the 2022 Iowa State Fair. This program has been going strong for 20+ years! Thanks to Speed Herrig with Cookies Food Products for partnering with the Foundation for so many years to honor the most deserving Iowans.
- Corndog Kickoff Highlights: Raising $797,000 is no easy task! Thank you to the patrons, concessionaires, auction donors and volunteers for making the 2022 event such a success. Are there any supporters that have attended each and every Corndog Kickoff?
- Interns: Each year the Blue Ribbon Foundation hires interns to join our team. Learn more - the deadline to apply is November 30.
Flashback 10 years ago – Fall 2012:
- Fairgrounds 5K: The Foundation was promoting one of our more “exhausting” fundraisers. Haha!
- Expo Hill: This area was updated for the 2012 Iowa State Fair. Fairgoers enjoyed the covered stage entertainment, which Fairgoers are still enjoying to this day.
- Merchandise: Iowa State Fair souvenirs change over time to reflect what is popular for buyers. The Iowa State Fair cookbook remains one of the most popular merchandise items, even after 10 years. Start Shopping Online.
- You can also purchase merchandise at our office. Just let us know what day you plan to stop by and we will have the items ready for you. Our office is located on the Iowa State Fairgrounds in the Earth Home (under the wind turbine, by the Cultural Center and Fun Forest). We are open Monday – Friday from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
Flashback 20 years ago – Fall 2002:
- Legacy Terrace: Fairgoers enjoyed the renovations in front of the Grandstand. During the 2002 Iowa State Fair, there was a ribbon cutting and dedication ceremony for the new Legacy Terrace space.
- Bells Goes to the Fair: Susan Knapp wrote the children’s book, Bells Goes to the Fair. The books were sold and the proceeds donated to the Blue Ribbon Foundation.
- Volunteers: Thank you to the many volunteers that sell bottled water and merchandise during the Iowa State Fair. In 2002, more than 350 Fair-lovers donated their time to support our mission. That number has grown to nearly 600 in 20 years!
Programs have grown, new projects have developed and things have changed over the years. One thing that remains constant - the loyalty of Blue Ribbon Foundation donors and volunteers. Thank you for your support!