10 Things about 1993:
March 14, 2017
10 Things about 1993:
- The cost of a first-class stamp: $0.29
- The cost of a gallon of regular gas: $1.11
- The cost of a dozen eggs: $0.87
- Billboard’s Top Song: “Rhythm Is A Dancer” by Snap!
- Winner of Academy Award for Best Picture: Schindler's List
- America’s Top TV Show: Home Improvement
- Winner of Superbowl XXVIII : Dallas Cowboys
- Fiction’s Best Selling Book: The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller
- 98 million people watched the last episode of Cheers
- And…The Iowa State Fair Blue Ribbon Foundation was created.
The Blue Ribbon Foundation was established by the Fair Board to conduct a major capital campaign for the renovation and preservation of the historic Iowa State Fairgrounds. The Foundation set a goal to raise $6 million in two years and $30 million in ten years. With hard work and an overflowing amount of support - this goal was reached and surpassed. In 25 years, the Foundation has raised $128 million and supported 40 major improvement projects across the Fairgrounds.
In celebration of our organization’s journey, we are hosting a 25th Anniversary Campaign. The purpose of the campaign is to celebrate our history while creating awareness about our mission for the future.
From the very beginning, the Blue Ribbon Foundation strives to do more than expected. The organization is not only thinking about the future but planning for the stability of the Fairgrounds for the next generation. What will the Iowa State Fair and Foundation look like in 25 years?
The proceeds of the 25th Anniversary Campaign will be dedicated to Our Fair’s Future, the Blue Ribbon Foundation’s endowment fund. As the endowment grows, it will provide a reliable source of funding for future renovations, building enhancements and maintenance to the Fairgrounds, ensuring the Fair will be a grand tradition for generations to come.
The Iowa State Fair is a tradition any Iowan can be proud of, and the Blue Ribbon Foundation is dedicated to continuing that legacy. We invite you to join a community of generosity and get even more involved with the Fair you know and love. Donate online or fill out the Donation Form.
Placing the first engraved bricks:
Constructing the Service Center was the first project:
The first mess was just the beginning: